You are here
Key areas include diabetes, cardiovascular health and asthma management. Each pharmacy, however, should consider its local community needs above any single or popular service. Five professional services identified as having the greatest opportunity for pharmacy include:
- Medication Reviews (including HMRs)
- Dose Administration Aid (DAA) supply
- Staged Supply
- Clinical interventions1
Of almost $600m in funding allocated to professional services in the 6th Community Pharmacy Agreement, programs for adherence (including DAA and staged supply) and medication management (including clinical interventions, HMRs and MedsChecks) are a major focus of the Federal Government’s health initiatives.2
According to the latest UTS Pharmacy Barometer, professional services again represent the greatest opportunity for community pharmacy over the next three years.1
Why does this matter to your pharmacy?
Patients report a high level of satisfaction for services delivered by pharmacists and are supportive of the role community pharmacists play in the contribution to improving overall health, reducing medical misadventure, education and improving confidence around adherence.3 There are many supporting services that a pharmacy could offer as needed, however consider which complement the skills and interests of your team, and which deliver most patient satisfaction.
Pharmacies may approach service development and promotion strategically by assessing the local community’s greatest needs through either direct research or seeking external consultation. This ensures that the proposed services offered by the pharmacy will resonate locally.
* Insight provided by NostraData®.
NostraData is a health and retail analytics company that helps pharmacies better service their patients; creating better health outcomes through focused data-driven solutions.
- 2016 Pharmacy Barometer: Focus on 6CPA, King Review and GP collaboration. URL: <http://www.uts.edu.au/about/graduate-school-health/pharmacy/what-we-do/p..., accessed
- Summary of professional services in 6CPA. URL: <https://www.psa.org.au/cpas/6cpa/summary-of-professional-services-in-6cpa>, accessed
- 5CPA Evaluation Final Reports. URL: <http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/5cpa-evalu...
- Bespoke Health Services
- Setting Expectations
- Value-Added Health Services
- Holistic Health Awareness and Adherence
- Your Local Community Healthcare Needs
- Health Services and Value in Pharmacy
- Communicating With Your Customers
- Understanding Yourself and Your Customers
- Embedding Change
- Actioning Change
- Preparation for Change
- The Need To Change